Thought I would write a post with an update on what's going on in the Town of Fort Gibson.
1. The ODOT Downtown Enhancement Project is underway. This project will replace downtown sidewalks, curbs and lighting with new more decorative sidewalks and light fixtures. Should take about 5 months.
2. The Town is working to raise money through grants and in cooperation with the Chamber of Commerce to do a complete renovation of the Firemen's Park behind the post office. The new park will include a splashpad, skatepark and new playground equipment.
3. The state and county are preparing plans to replace the old bridge across the Grand River down by the fort.
4. The Historical Society got a grant to do major renovations at the fort including building new restrooms and having an educational video of the history of the fort made. This work should start within a year.
5. The Town is in the process of getting DEQ approval of a new type of aeration system for the sewer plant that will save thousands of dollars a year in energy costs.
6. There is an election in April for three of the members of the Board of Trustees and the Town Clerk.
7. There is a project in the works to improve drainage and build sidewalks on Wiley Road from Poplar to the high school baseball field.
These are just a few of the things going on in Fort Gibson that you may not have heard about.